6 Degrees Calgary: Towards Resilience
It helps to be deliberate about how a society builds resilience. Principles need to be identified, framed, and pushed out. What are they? Diversified economies, community investment, and active citizenship, to name a few. But the most fundamental principle may also be the most elusive: belief in the value of diversity. Fail at that, and society may well fail at the rest.
Join 6 Degrees on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at TELUS Spark for a day of engaging, interactive discussions that seek to find new language, ideas, and solutions to arguably the most urgent issue of our time: creating truly inclusive societies.
• Adrienne Clarkson, 26th Governor General of Canada and Co-Chair of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship
• John Ralston Saul, Essayist and novelist, and Co-Chair of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship
• Deepa Mehta, Film director and screenwriter
• Leroy Little Bear, Distinguished Niitsitapi Scholar, University of Lethbridge
• Pam Krause, President and CEO of the Calgary Sexual Health Centre
• Natan Obed, President of the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and national Inuit leader
• Chris Turner, Journalist and author
• Anila Lee Yuen, CEO of Calgary Newcomer Centre
• Abdul-Rehman Malik, London-based journalist, educator and organizer
• More to be confirmed
Thank you to the 6 Degrees Calgary Committee:
Chair – Zai Mamdani, Aleem Bharwani, Minelli Clements, Barry Crean, Franca Gualtieri, Hussain Khimji, Alice Lam, Lachlin McKinnon, Ellen Parker, Nuvyn Peters, Richard Sigurdson, Ryan van der Marel, Sophie Virji