360: Propelling Youth Employment in the GTA
Wednesday, December 13, 2017 | 8:45am – 1:30pm
Centre for Entrepreneurship (G Building), Humber College, Lakeshore Campus, Toronto, Canada
Why are young people in the GTA struggling to find jobs, or meaningful jobs? What role can the public and private sectors play to solve the problem? Join a dynamic group of speakers, civic leaders, and the members from the 6 Degrees-Toronto Pearson Youth Cohort in discussing the challenges of youth employment in the GTA.
This morning of debate and dialogue will take place in the round (360 session), and will aim to come up with a set of recommendations.
Speakers will include:
- Nation Cheong, Vice President, Community Opportunities and Mobilization at United Way Toronto and York Region (Host)
- Margaret Eaton, Executive Director of the Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council (TRIEC)
- Huda Bukhari, Executive Director of the Arab Community Centre of Toronto (ACCT)
- Othniel Lichtmore, Founder and Host of The Making it in Toronto Podcast
- Vasiliki Bednar, Senior Policy Associate at Airbnb and Chair the Federal Expert Panel on Youth Employment
- Jaskaran Sandhu, Special Advisor to the Mayor of the City of Brampton
Please register on Eventbrite to secure a spot at this FREE event!
The 6 Degrees-Toronto Pearson Youth Cohort is a group of 15 dynamic leaders aged 18-29 from the GTA who are committed to building a more inclusive city: Sanel Ahmic, Irum Anjum, Kayla Harvard, Fatima Hirsi, Jason Liu, Farah Mahmood, Malhar Memon, Dina Nikitina, Jae Park, Sehaj Singh, Jai Singh, Demas Soliman, Sharon Suresh, Ifrah Yousuf, Nathan Yu
This event is sponsored by Toronto Pearson International Airport’s Propeller Project. The area surrounding Toronto Pearson is the second largest employment zone in Canada, second only to downtown Toronto. Yet, some of the neighbourhoods around the airport are facing unemployment rates higher than the provincial average. Through the Propeller Project, Toronto Pearson’s community investment program, we are investing in initiatives that address issues of unemployment and underemployment in the communities surrounding the airport. Toronto Pearson is proud to partner with the Institute of Canadian Citizenship in support of the Youth Cohort at 6 Degrees and contribute to lasting solutions that address youth unemployment in the neighbourhoods surrounding the airport.